Could you find ways to your "Spare change" to good use.
Take this money saving quiz from Quicken to see how you rate.
There were several questions on the challenge that did not apply for me.
I think they left quite a few things off the list that I saved lots of money by doing:
- Do you use the dryer or hang your clothes? (saves on energy cost and wear and tear on clothing)
- Do you grow some of your own food or herbs?
- Shop thrift stores or garage sales?
- Have you had an energy audit done on your home?
- Do you have a rainbarrel?
- Water saving aerators and shower heads (one of the first thing I install when I move into a new place)
- Turn the water flow down under the sinks (no one ever noticed that one!)
- Insulated windows and water heater?
- Trade or barter?
- Cook (from scratch)-make in advance-freeze casseroles ready to heat, for those nothing in the house/save on gas by not going for take out at home meals.
- Buy on sale (add a coupon, if you have it)
- Read online newspapers and magazines
- Egg and Potato water (Let cool for watering plants)
- Do you know where the clearance section is in every store? Check those back endcaps for some end of season closeouts.
- Use Freecycyle?
- Do you make holiday gifts?
- Donate and recycle instead of throw out? (Deduction is a bonus).
- Don't pay for services you can do yourself. Lawn, landscaping, family haircuts, painting, moving,
- Use the library for books and movies.
- Fill out entry forms for freebies-samples on the web and in-store promotions (You never know...better odds than Vegas).
- Walk or bike (when-where you can)